I had recently purchased myself a bundt tin and was dying to try it out on this design. So I trawled though other cake makers blogs and youtube videos for advice and ideas and then set to work.
Having not used bundt tins before I chose to keep the recipe simple (vanilla) so I didn't have to worry about trying to scale it up or down.
So I baked a 4 egg mix for each bundt half, then when they were cooled i sliced them in half and sanwiched them together with orange coloured vanilla buttercream and crumbcoated them into a ball shape.
I also wasn't happy with the height of the cake, so I also sliced an extra centimetre off the bottom once the cake was chilled and the buttercream was hard. This gave it a much nicer squat appearance.
As bundt cakes have the hole in the middle I placed a little 4" cake board over the top of the cake to seal it up, and also applied a thin coat of buttercream to it so it would stick and blend in, this central hole could also be filled with hard shelled sweets like a pinata cake...perfect for the trick or treat theme.
I allowed the buttercream to come back up to room temperature so it would be a little softer for the molding process, and allow the fondant to stick properly.
Having never covered a ball shaped cake before it actually took me 2 attempts to get it right, also keeping the fondant a nice thickness so it wouldn't tear when the features were added.
I used one of my modelling tools to push down the sides of the pumpkin, these do not have to be at regular intervals so no need to measure, just do whatever looks right. real pumpkins are also full of blemishes so no need to have it completely smooth.
I then used my fingers to lightly press and smooth down.
i then rolled out the remaining fondant into a long strip and covered the board, sticking it down with a a little water, I didn't need this to be perfectly smooth as it was going to be a muddy ground so I just ensure it was pushed up against the base of the pumpkin.
The remaining fondant was shaped into the stem of the pumpkin and fixed centrally onto the top. Again using one of my modelling tools I textured this with a lot of lines, using my real pumpkin as a reference.
i then left this overnight to dry out a bit and firm up before I would start airbrushing it.
I also made some areas darker than others, as I would later be blending in black and greens to darken it up a bit. This was a great opportunity to try my hand at mixing different shades.
The pumpkin was sprayed straight orange, and i then mixed a drop of brown into the orange to get a darker colour along the grooves and around the base.
The stem was then carefully sprayed with the brown, with a little bit of dark green, being careful not to overspray onto the top of the pumpkin.
Once complete it was left to dry for an hour or so.
Board & Stem: used brown, brown mixed with a drop of black, a dark green (made from blue and yellow).
Pumpkin: primarily Orange but also Orange mixed with a drop of brown for the shading in the grooves and around the base.
I had left a large overhang of fondant on the board to protect the edge and the turn table, this would be trimmed off once dry, and the ribbon added